Thursday, June 03, 2010

Blogspiration

That title is a bit cheesy.  This post explains the story behind the blog (blog-inspiration...blogspiration...whatever).  It's not much of a story, but it's one illustration of the weirdness that I encounter almost on a daily basis.  I'm sure others run into weirder stuff, but I need something to blog about, and I'm trying to stick with a theme.  Why am I explaining myself to you?!  Anyway, here it is:

People force me to be awkward:  they put me in these weird situations.  I admit, others handle them a lot better than me, but it shouldn't be this way so often.  Exhibit A:

I'm in Subway, I order my sub, I pay.  I get my cup for my drink and head to the soda machine.  There's a lady at the machine with a teenage girl--mother and daughter or grandma and granddaughter, perhaps.  I wait behind them for my turn...and wait...and wait.

The teenage girl looks back at me a few times and attempts to hurry along the older woman.  Eventually, she gets fed up, rolls her eyes, and leaves the woman to go sit down at a table by herself.

At this time, there's some room (the woman was a bit on the larger side) at the soda machine for me to squeeze in, fill my cup, and get the frick out of there, since I was now late getting back from lunch.  I advanced to the machine only to find that the soda I wanted was farthest from me and right in front of the lady.  Awkward.

By this point, I was more than curious about what this lady was doing at the pop machine that would take this long.  Now next to her, I glanced down to see that she already had a few Subway cups filled and sitting on the counter in front of her.  What's more, though, was that she she had a small stack of them coming out of her purse.  She grabbed the next Subway cup (obvious to me by then from the embarrassed look on her granddaughter's/daughter's/whatever's face that they were brought from home and smuggled into the place via said purse), and proceeded to fill it.

What came next was the icing on the awkward-cake.  The woman, now aware of me beside her, decided the situation wasn't weird enough and started humming hymns and vocalizing the occasional "lord" and other phrases from the song.  Perhaps she thought that would make me judge her less.  Haha!

In all honesty, I could care less how many cups she pulled out of that purse (although she was taking it a bit to the extreme with multiple cups).  I'd be lying if I said I never thought about trying the same thing--if only movie theaters didn't change cup designs so often!--only I don't have the Southern Balls, and I don't know any hymns to hum.  Plus, I'd get caught, and as you know now, I'm trying to avoid awkward situations, not walk right into them.

Mostly, I was irritated with the situation because I just wanted her to move maybe 1 foot to her right so I could get my beverage and be out of there.  Just because you're going to steal like 5 drinks, you don't have to be rude and make others wait for you to finish up your thievery.  Haha!  So finally when my patience died, I extended my arm awkwardly in front of her body and under my soda of choice.  Eek!  Those were some uncomfortable, "lord"-filled seconds.

Lucky for you, I've taken some time to illustrate the moment: 


Notice the "Not to Scale" disclaimer.  I was much closer to her than was shown in this "reenactment," but I didn't want to the picture to get sloppy. It's pretty much dead-on other than that...yep...Haha!

Stay tuned for more tales of awkwardness and randomy-type stuff.

-Amy

3 comments:

  1. Just got to say awesome! Keep them coming. Also I've been in these kinds of spots and they suck. The trick is to make them more awkward. At least thats what seems to always happens to me. Love the blog by the way. Classic Amy cartoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited you started a blog! I've missed your pics and stories. I opened a blog now too! Won't be as awesome but I am so thrilled to see more pics from you =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! You're my motivation to keep-on truckin with this. Haha!

    ReplyDelete